Sunday, April 21, 2013

Holy Grail: the Eisenstaedt edition

'In Times Square on V-J Day, I saw a sailor running along the street grabbing every girl in sight. I was running ahead of him with my Leica looking back over my shoulder. Then suddenly, in a flash, I saw something white being grabbed. I turned around and clicked the moment the sailor kissed the nurse...I took exactly four pictures. It was done within a few seconds' (Alfred Eisenstaedt)

If you still don't know what to present to give meon my birthday, here's another idea: a signed copy of one of the most iconic photos ever taken, and the camera that took it, will both go on sale at the WestLicht Photographica Auction in Vienna. The photo is a signed print of the iconic V-J Day "Kiss in Time Square" photograph taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt, and the camera is the Leica IIIa rangefinder that he used right up until the day he died.




No comments: